Definition of engraving :
1. An impression from an engraved plate, block of wood, or other material; a print.
2. of Engrave
3. That which is engraved; an engraved plate.
4. The act or art of producing upon hard material incised or raised patterns, characters, lines, and the like; especially, the art of producing such lines, etc., in the surface of metal plates or blocks of wood. Engraving is used for the decoration of the surface itself; also, for producing an original, from which a pattern or design may be printed on paper.
engraving (part of speech: verb)
- He was a clerk in an important engraving company. - "True and Other Stories", George Parsons Lathrop.
- Printing Frames for photo- engraving are the only safe ones on the market. - "Photogravure", Henry R. Blaney.
- I had seen a steel engraving of him at the head of a double volume of Memoirs a month before, and I felt ancient beyond telling. - "The Phantom 'Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories", Rudyard Kipling.