Definition of expire:
- To breathe out; to emit from the lungs; to throw out from the mouth or nostrils in the process of respiration; - opposed to inspire.
- To bring to a close; to terminate.
- To burst forth; to fly out with a blast.
- To come to an end; to cease; to terminate; to perish; to become extinct; as, the flame expired; his lease expires to- day; the month expired on Saturday.
- To emit the breath.
- To emit the last breath; to breathe out the life; to die; as, to expire calmly; to expire in agony.
- To emit; to give out.
- To give forth insensibly or gently, as a fluid or vapor; to emit in minute particles; to exhale; as, the earth expires a damp vapor; plants expire odors.
blend, wink, pass off, give way, faint, go, send, fall out, break, beetle off, choke, travel, cash in one's chips, leave, clog, run short, flatline, bolt, blend in, sink, go away, spend, perish, gnarl, go across, croak, glide by, buy the farm, endure, lead, start, asphyxiate, reach, egest, pass out, kick the bucket, pall, grumble, issue, determine, clear, fade, choke off, breathe, strangle, clog up, give forth, hand, exit, locomote, discharge, happen, come to an end, die, overstep, go through, dry up, legislate, law, excrete, drop, cast, run low, give, blow over, overtake, go along, come about, travel by, turn over, function, murmur, decease, irradiate, top, put across, run off, give-up the ghost, drain, run out, kick off, survive, authorise, stall, go on, get, devolve, last, elapse, leave off, check out, pop off, lose your life, draw to a close/an end, break up, live, starve, exhale, eliminate, conk out, give out, become flat, kick in, die out, draw, authorize, snuff it, slide by, lapse, let up, belong, take place, poop out, exceed, bolt out, proceed, lay down your life, fit, fail, plump, return, become, blow, dead-end, discontinue, radiate, back up, work, congest, slip by, run down, disappear, guide, peg out, throw out, vent, decline, quit, mutter, go out, breathe out, swoon, break down, make it, spill, continue, release, step out, live on, demise, overhaul, rifle, sound, foul, expel, evanesce, fleet, fret, scrag, wind up, go by, conk, hold out, gag, pass by, slip away, evolve, communicate, get out, wither, get going, move, suffocate, breathe your last (breath), throttle, run, go past, peter out, breath, pass, shoot, pass away, operate, hold up, emanate, occur, cronk, transcend, drop dead, make pass, go bad, break off, drown, pass along, stifle, extend, hap, surpass.
- die (part of speech: verb)
- end (part of speech: verb)
- "The Maid of Orleans A Tragedy", Frederich Schiller.
- "The Best of the World's Classics, Restricted to prose. Volume II (of X) - Rome", Various.
- "State of the Union Addresses of Calvin Coolidge", Calvin Coolidge.