Definition of burst:
- A rupture or hernia; a breach.
- A sudden breaking forth; a violent rending; an explosion; as, a burst of thunder; a burst of applause; a burst of passion; a burst of inspiration.
- A sudden opening, as of landscape; a stretch; an expanse.
- Any brief, violent exertion or effort; a spurt; as, a burst of speed.
- of Burst
- To break or rend by violence, as by an overcharge or by strain or pressure, esp. from within; to force open suddenly; as, to burst a cannon; to burst a blood vessel; to burst open the doors.
- To break.
- To exert force or pressure by which something is made suddenly to give way; to break through obstacles or limitations; hence, to appear suddenly and unexpectedly or unaccountably, or to depart in such manner; -- usually with some qualifying adverb or preposition, as forth, out, away, into, upon, through, etc.
- To fly apart or in pieces; of break open; to yield to force or pressure, especially to a sudden and violent exertion of force, or to pressure from within; to explode; as, the boiler had burst; the buds will burst in spring.
- To produce as an effect of bursting; as, to burst a hole through the wall.
give way, bout, die, founder, flush, impulse, erupt, come apart, pop, gale, short-term, crumble, crock up, separate, disclose, catch, abound, weaken, clamour, detonation, gallop, course, dissever, blaze, come in, give away, self-destruct, words, crest, ruin, dampen, blow a hole in something, set off, crack up, shoot up, charge, fail, let on, irrupt, discharge, break open, breach, go, be quick on your feet, break, crush, recrudesce, emerge, shiver, shatter, start, storm, burst forth, busted, devastation, flare-up, second, wear, crop up, surge, tumble, detonate, push through, go off, snap off, rupture, flutter, cave in, break through, spurt, stop, let out, spring, blow apart, pause, paroxysm, destroy, uprise, conniption, tumultuous disturbance, stand up, rip through, catch fire, scene, get out, ejaculate, split up, break off, unwrap, rush, sabotage, the ravages of something, dart, spring up, destruction, split, burst out, beep, sever, explosion, carve up, minute, take fire, gust, conk out, soften, volley, break away, bursting, give out, break in, cacophony, outburst, race, decay, fly, blow up, hasten, break loose, rive, violate, cleave, sec, better, flare, extravasate, belch, wear out, develop, clamor, come out, fire, ignite, flurry, divide, eruption, break down, dash, bankrupt, speed, fall in, blowout, transgress, channel, cashier, cast up, gush, conflagrate, fracture, spasm, tantrum, blare, damp, blow, pop up, touch off, reveal, outpace, infract, go bad, come and go, split second, flash, round, havoc, fall apart, bring out, fit, sunder, bristle, expose, exclaim, plosion, break up, fulminate, break-dance, kick downstairs, collapse, effusion, rend, moment, convulsion, spate, part, rap out, offend, check, explode, bust, damage, flicker, ruptured, crumple, tear, harm, ebullition, blast, demolition, discontinue, relegate, raid, descend on, demolish, blowup, interrupt, smash, salvo, intermit, discover, go against, break out, twinge, deepen, agony, give, get around, instant, blow off, divulge, fusillade, a bit, combust, damaged, zap, demote.
- snap (part of speech: verb)
- snapped (part of speech: verb)