Definition of irritable:
- Capable of being irriated.
- Endowed with irritability; susceptible of irritation; capable of being excited to action by the application of certain stimuli.
- Susceptible of irritation; unduly sensitive to irritants or stimuli. See Irritation, n., 3.
- Very susceptible of anger or passion; easily inflamed or exasperated; as, an irritable temper.
scratchy, out of sorts, snappy, gravelly, snippety, petulant, grating, irritating, mean, temperamental, ugly, excitable, plaguy, bad-tempered, fractious, rough, pettish, grumpy, teasing, crank, fretful, vexatious, spotty, querulous, nasty, abrasive, pestiferous, tender, techy, testy, vexing, plaguey, sensitive, snarky, galling, uneven, pestering, attitude, bothersome, disagreeable, annoying, ill-natured, ill-tempered, peevish, cranky, raspy, recalcitrant, pesky, waspish, nettlesome, grouchy, crabby, refractory, rasping, stuffy, snippy, perverse, tetchy, peckish, tippy, ratty.
- excitable (part of speech: adjective)
sensitive (part of speech: adjective)
- having a short fuse,
- out of humor,
- easily offended,
- irritable (part of speech: adjective)
- "32 Caliber", Donald McGibeny.
- "The High Calling", Charles M. Sheldon.
I do not remember much more of him than that he was a shrewd and I believe a conscientious writer; that he had great industry; was, generally, well read, and possessed a very fair amount of critical taste; that, like other persons, he had some prejudices, and that he was sometimes, moreover, a little hasty and irritable.- "Charles Lamb", Barry Cornwall.