Definition of application :
1. A request; a document containing a request; as, his application was placed on file.
2. Hence, in specific uses: ( a) That part of a sermon or discourse in which the principles before laid down and illustrated are applied to practical uses; the " moral" of a fable. ( b) The use of the principles of one science for the purpose of enlarging or perfecting another; as, the application of algebra to geometry.
3. The act of applying as a means; the employment of means to accomplish an end; specific use.
4. The act of applying or laying on, in a literal sense; as, the application of emollients to a diseased limb.
5. The act of directing or referring something to a particular case, to discover or illustrate agreement or disagreement, fitness, or correspondence; as, I make the remark, and leave you to make the application; the application of a theory.
6. The act of fixing the mind or closely applying one's self; assiduous effort; close attention; as, to injure the health by application to study.
7. The act of making request of soliciting; as, an application for an office; he made application to a court of chancery.
8. The capacity of being practically applied or used; relevancy; as, a rule of general application.
9. The thing applied.
relevancy, coat, blank, pursuit, care, appositeness, industry, alpha version, wash, lotion, appraisal, bandage, order, devotion, affirmative action, purpose, performance, strain, address book, act, requisition, screening, applications programme, certificate, finishing, covering, seek, masking, dedication, automatic recovery program, relevant, industrious, used, blanket, alcohol, words, effort, medicine, plaster, apply, work, coating, treatment, authoring software, duty, practise, concernment, pomade, adoption, undertaking, germaneness, bury, unguent, crown, biodata, assiduity, administration, practical application, occupation, balm, application program, finish, application software, smother, diligence, drill, cover, ointment, bidder, attention, implementation, dressing, accounting package, insulate, bill, activity, give, play, credentials, letter, form, application form, stimulant, autoresponder, recover, wear, top, cosmetic, pertinency, industriousness, questionnaire, consumption, materiality, paper, backup utility, appraise, summons, beta version, exploitation, action, dispensation, compress, bearing, heavy lifting, applicant, sedulousness, natural covering, wrap, demand, assiduousness, challenge, salve
appeal (part of speech: noun)
attribution (part of speech: noun)
relevance (part of speech: noun)
application (part of speech: noun)
- According to the directions which the Dean, a man of affairs, had given him, he sat down and wrote his application to the War Office for a commission. - "The Rough Road", William John Locke.
- And the higher the duties of the guardian, I said, the more time, and skill, and art, and application will be needed by him? - "Plato's Republic", Plato.
- " Really," said I, " I am not able to judge of the application, since I have not seen the hero." - "Pelham, Complete", Edward Bulwer-Lytton Last Updated: March 16, 2009.