Definition of frown:
- A wrinkling of the face in displeasure, rebuke, etc.; a sour, severe, or stere look; a scowl.
- Any expression of displeasure; as, the frowns of Providence; the frowns of Fortune.
- To contract the brow in displeasure, severity, or sternness; to scowl; to put on a stern, grim, or surly look.
- To manifest displeasure or disapprobation; to look with disfavor or threateningly; to lower; as, polite society frowns upon rudeness.
- To repress or repel by expressing displeasure or disapproval; to rebuke with a look; as, frown the impudent fellow into silence.
- "The Scottish Chiefs", Jane Porter.
- "A further contribution to the study of the mortuary customs of the North American Indians First Annual Report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, 1879-80, Government Printing Office, Washington, 1881, pages 87-204", H. C. Yarrow.
- "Captain Dieppe", Anthony Hope.