Definition of maintenance :
1. An officious or unlawful intermeddling in a cause depending between others, by assisting either party with money or means to carry it on. See Champerty.
2. That which maintains or supports; means of sustenance; supply of necessaries and conveniences.
3. The act of maintaining; sustenance; support; defense; vindication.
nourishment, aliment, precaution, fear, forethought, subsistence, sustenance, alimony, pay, aid, money, attention, criminal maintenance, preservation, caution, resources, charge, support, upkeep, alimentation, tending, bread and butter, sustainment, guardianship, bread, living, nutriment, keep, keeping, livelihood, care, concern, tutelage, sustentation, victuals, nutrition
continuation (part of speech: noun)
custody (part of speech: noun)
- But now arose a serious question as to the future maintenance of the young people. - "Biographical Essays", Thomas de Quincey.
- Their individuality lies in the constant maintenance of a characteristic form, not in the preservation of material identity. - "Aphorisms and Reflections from the works of T. H. Huxley", Thomas Henry Huxley.
- Finally, it must be admitted that there are a great many more or less poorly understood or unknown forces at work in all soils which aid in the maintenance of soil- fertility. - "Dry-Farming", John A. Widtsoe.