Definition of maintenance:
- An officious or unlawful intermeddling in a cause depending between others, by assisting either party with money or means to carry it on. See Champerty.
- That which maintains or supports; means of sustenance; supply of necessaries and conveniences.
- The act of maintaining; sustenance; support; defense; vindication.
nourishment, aliment, precaution, fear, forethought, subsistence, sustenance, alimony, pay, aid, money, attention, criminal maintenance, preservation, caution, resources, charge, support, upkeep, alimentation, tending, bread and butter, sustainment, guardianship, bread, living, nutriment, keep, keeping, livelihood, care, concern, tutelage, sustentation, victuals, nutrition.
- "Biographical Essays", Thomas de Quincey.
- "Aphorisms and Reflections from the works of T. H. Huxley", Thomas Henry Huxley.
- "Dry-Farming", John A. Widtsoe.