Definition of ounce :
1. A feline quadruped ( Felis irbis, uncia) resembling the leopard in size, and somewhat in color, but it has longer and thicker fur, which forms a short mane on the back.
2. A weight, the sixteenth part of a pound avoirdupois, and containing 437 grains.
3. Fig.: A small portion; a bit.
4. The twelfth part of a troy pound.
dot, diddly, oz., scruple, smidgen, measure, hoot, speck, drop, dab, snow leopard, whit, ort, modicum, bit, apothecaries' ounce, fragment, dram, dash, Panthera Uncia, scrap, troy ounce, avoirdupois ounce, particle, jot, minim, fluid ounce, spot, one sixteenth of a pint, rap, big, damn, shred, tittle, molecule, crumb, grain, trifle, iota, mite
volume (part of speech: noun)
- The victim, looking as though every ounce of strength had been drained from him, peered vacantly at the Phantom while the latter removed the second link from the dead woman's hand. - "The Gray Phantom's Return", Herman Landon.
- His strength vanished ounce by ounce. - "Dan Merrithew", Lawrence Perry.
- She knew all the shades of grease paint from Flesh to Sallow Old Age, and if you gained an ounce she warned you. - "Gigolo", Edna Ferber.