Definition of underwrite:
- To practice the business of insuring; to take a risk of insurance on a vessel or the like.
- To subscribe one's name to for insurance, especially for marine insurance; to write one's name under, or set one's name to, as a policy of insurance, for the purpose of becoming answerable for loss or damage, on consideration of receiving a certain premium per cent; as, individuals, as well as companies, may underwrite policies of insurance.
- To write under something else; to subscribe.
control, overcompensate, see, subvent, capitalize, carrier, enshroud, deal, help, comprehend, address, cut across, pay into, contributory, hide, put in, plow into, assure, extend, adjuster, report, seal, cross, finance, secure, collision damage waiver, embrace, overlay, shroud, continue, stake, actuarial, see to it, wrap up, sign, initial, assurance, bankroll, broker, ascertain, handle, insure, plow, okay, refund, hatch, actuary, get over, traverse, invest, subsidize, sink, brood, accede, cut through, compensate, incubate, speculate, ensure, endow, fund, treat, guarantee, pay, comprehensive, spread over, save, subvention, support, cover up, pass over, cover, breed, get across, encompass, hedge, check, roll over, track, benefit.
- "Hoofbeats on the Turnpike", Mildred A. Wirt.
- "A Mysterious Disappearance", Gordon Holmes.
- "Humanly Speaking", Samuel McChord Crothers.