Definition of chaff:
- Anything of a comparatively light and worthless character; the refuse part of anything.
- Light jesting talk; banter; raillery.
- Straw or hay cut up fine for the food of cattle.
- The glumes or husks of grains and grasses separated from the seed by threshing and winnowing, etc.
- The scales or bracts on the receptacle, which subtend each flower in the heads of many Compositae, as the sunflower.
- To make fun of; to turn into ridicule by addressing in ironical or bantering language; to quiz.
- To use light, idle language by way of fun or ridicule; to banter.
riffraff, dust, satire, laughter, stalking, dreck, straw, aerial root, irony, badinage, bud, ride, rib, still hunt, stalk, angry walk, josh, mockery, ridicule, banter, husk, wheat, trash, drinking straw, shuck, pale yellow, truck, stubble, raffle, spilth, stem, beanstalk, jolly, scrap, raillery, joke, jeering, kid, anther, rag, pull the leg of, derision, bract, razz, deadwood, boll, bur, jive, effluvium, offscouring, bulb, blade, sarcasm, shell, litter.
- residue (part of speech: noun)
- waste (part of speech: noun)
- "Donal Grant", George MacDonald.
- "Grandmother Elsie", Martha Finley.
- "The End of the Rainbow", Marian Keith.