Definition of quill:
- A hollow spindle.
- A pen for writing made by sharpening and splitting the point or nib of the stock of a feather; as, history is the proper subject of his quill.
- A roll of dried bark; as, a quill of cinnamon or of cinchona.
- A spindle, or spool, as of reed or wood, upon which the thread for the woof is wound in a shuttle.
- A spine of the hedgehog or porcupine.
- One of the large feathers of a bird's wing, or one of the rectrices of the tail; also, the stock of such a feather.
- Something having the form of a quill
- The fold or plain of a ruff.
- The pen of a squid. See Pen.
- The plectrum with which musicians strike the strings of certain instruments.
- The tube of a musical instrument.
- To plaint in small cylindrical ridges, called quillings; as, to quill a ruffle.
- To wind on a quill, as thread or yarn.
shaft of light, putz, beam, cock, jibe, dick, comb, beak, ballpoint, ray of light, prick, dig, inkstand, diaphysis, breast, carapace, collar, capsule, flight feather, cockscomb, felt-tip, sweet calamus, sweet flag, arm, slam, quill feather, bill, lead, calamus, peter, irradiation, bony, flagroot, antler, fountain pen, blowhole, gibe, tool, anatomy, quill pen, crest, pennon, feather, beam of light, cartridge, light beam, Biro, graphite, ray, scape, belly, shaft, highlighter, anatomical, down, myrtle flag, body, pecker, gizzard, marker, plume, rotating shaft, shot, genus Calamus, pinion.
- "Pebbles on the Shore", Alpha of the Plough (Alfred George Gardiner).
- "Foes", Mary Johnston.
- "The Boy Scouts Book of Stories", Various.