Definition of claw:
- A sharp, hooked nail, as of a beast or bird.
- A slender appendage or process, formed like a claw, as the base of petals of the pink.
- Anything resembling the claw of an animal, as the curved and forked end of a hammer for drawing nails.
- The whole foot of an animal armed with hooked nails; the pinchers of a lobster, crab, etc.
- To pull, tear, or scratch with, or as with, claws or nails.
- To rail at; to scold.
- To relieve from some uneasy sensation, as by scratching; to tickle; hence, to flatter; to court.
- To scrape, scratch, or dig with a claw, or with the hand as a claw.
sweetener, grappling iron, hooking, tike, spur, draw, ungula, minor, youngster, chela, pincers, tiddler, bait, nail claw, clutching hand, nestling, fang, hook shot, fry, nipper, lure, forked end, crotchet, crook, manus, cant hook, small fry, paw, kid, dewclaw, grappling hook, tyke, come-on, tweezer, pincer, nail, pair of pincers, barb, fingernail, unguis, pair of tweezers, tentacle, shaver, child, grapnel, hook, tack claw.
Of these captains that were then in Italy, and, as I have said, they were fewer in that time than they are to- day, the most famous and the most fortunate was the man who was known as Messer Griffo of the Claw.- "The God of Love", Justin Huntly McCarthy.
- "Love Me Little, Love Me Long", Charles Reade Edition: 10 Language: English.
- "The Insect Folk", Margaret Warner Morley.