Definition of dig:
- A plodding and laborious student.
- A thrust; a punch; a poke; as, a dig in the side or the ribs. See Dig, v. t., 4.
- A tool for digging.
- An act of digging.
- An amount to be dug.
- Of a tool: To cut deeply into the work because ill set, held at a wrong angle, or the like, as when a lathe tool is set too low and so sprung into the work.
- To get by digging; as, to dig potatoes, or gold.
- To hollow out, as a well; to form, as a ditch, by removing earth; to excavate; as, to dig a ditch or a well.
- To study ploddingly and laboriously.
- To take ore from its bed, in distinction from making excavations in search of ore.
- To thrust; to poke.
- To turn up, or delve in, ( earth) with a spade or a hoe; to open, loosen, or break up ( the soil) with a spade, or other sharp instrument; to pierce, open, or loosen, as if with a spade.
- To work hard or drudge;
- To work with a spade or other like implement; to do servile work; to delve.
perceive, light beam, churn, epithet, guessing, thrust, beam of light, reach, diaphysis, archeological site, dick, grok, knife, roil, turn, quill, crunch, roll, guess, scout, stab, moil, quite like/enjoy something, see, expedition, outwear, scene, shooter, mash, give, motion, pellet, tip over, can't get enough of something, make, nudge, beam, barb, lance, look up, innuendo, arrest, cop, flip off, prod, fathom, pass, slight, follow up, debate, slap, turn up, prick, be one for (doing) something, take in, comprehend, bromide, outrage, ken, bore, conceive, encompass, delve, like the sound of something, savvy, touch, hand, putz, moot, shooting, grub, pound, eat it up, rotating shaft, inquire, acknowledge, cover, bulldoze, tump over, fag, allusion, twig, cranch, relish, sweep, grind, ray, hold on, afterthought, indicate, mining, consider, aside, exploration, shaft, shaft of light, tire, look into, tug, ray of light, travail, run, dis, flip over, fag out, show, nab, jabbing, pry, turn over, jog, excavation, wear upon, tenement, lunge, reconnoiter, gird, pick up, embrace, dig out, dart, boil, back talk, dig up, tool, check up on, spear, pass on, jibe, savor, beckon, intrude, spade, drive, cut into, understand, fatigue, explore, crack, comment, insult, take, flat, burrow, labor, labour, scape, poke at, craunch, plunge, peter, backchat, hollow out, stroke, push, excavate, bon mot, sarcasm, follow, injection, like, sink, high five, overturn, drudge, jab, unearth, get the picture, suite, enter, quail at, diggings, snap, irradiation, collar, taunt, flip, grub up, upset, ram, dredge, accept, catch, thrusting, gather, offense, put-down, stick, guesswork, make out, shot, slam, gibe, research, adore, probe, uncover, wear, incite, ridicule, poking, investigate, nose, thump, grate, slur, circumnavigate, wear out, comminute, knock over, hand-wringing, egg on, cock, bowl over, acknowledgment, flag down, deliberate, moon, digs, wear down, brickbat, dab, grasp, affront, apprehend, lodgings, calamus, get, sense, put in, go for, nail, poke, horn in, tunnel, compass, digging, jade, name, bray, snapshot, dead reckoning, love, hole, pecker, core out, enjoy, toil, read, shovel, blastoff, scoop, not be averse to something, personality, indignity, hollow, weary, tire out.
- "Philo Gubb Correspondence-School Detective", Ellis Parker Butler.
- "Ontario Teachers' Manuals: Nature Study", Ontario Ministry of Education.
- "The Strange Story Book", Mrs. Andrew Lang.