Definition of eccentricity :
1. The distance of the center of figure of a body, as of an eccentric, from an axis about which it turns; the throw.
2. The ratio of the distance between the center and the focus of an ellipse or hyperbola to its semi- transverse axis.
3. The ratio of the distance of the center of the orbit of a heavenly body from the center of the body round which it revolves to the semi- transverse axis of the orbit.
4. The state of being eccentric; deviation from the customary line of conduct; oddity.
kink, twist, trick, philosophy, mannerism, erraticism, concept, usual, principle, idea, thought, liberal, tic, faith, quiddity, study at idiosyncrasy, heretic, ideal, heathen, quip, extremism, crotchet, theory, freethinker, iconoclastic, quirk, infidel, individualism, bad apple, iconoclast, belief, commitment
absurdity (part of speech: noun)
farce, paradox, balderdash, idiocy, foolishness, meaninglessness, craziness, baloney, ludicrousness, absurdity, invalidity, implausibility, inanity, anachronism, silliness, preposterousness, irrationality, self-contradiction, impossibility, contradiction, bizarreness, nonsense, folly
ridiculousness (part of speech: noun)
unconformity (part of speech: noun)
curiosity, impropriety, idiosyncrasy, incongruity, freakishness, quirkiness, divergence, inconsistency, incompatibility, oddity, strangeness, difference, unfamiliarity, peculiarity, aberrance, nonconformity, derangement, uniqueness, outlandishness, deviation, anomaly, aberration, singularity, uncommonness, irregularity, unconventionality, exception, abnormality, funniness
irregularity (part of speech: noun)
- Those who loved him must tolerate this eccentricity, whether they liked it or not. - "The Song of Songs", Hermann Sudermann.
- " An Englishman did me the favour- from pure eccentricity, of course- to save my life on that exact spot, General," said the count. - "Vittoria, v8", George Meredith.
- It was simply a matter of stretching the orbit to extreme eccentricity as all the ships went round the planet. - "The Pirates of Ersatz", Murray Leinster.