Definition of hearth:
- The floor of a furnace, on which the material to be heated lies, or the lowest part of a melting furnace, into which the melted material settles.
- The house itself, as the abode of comfort to its inmates and of hospitality to strangers; fireside.
- The pavement or floor of brick, stone, or metal in a chimney, on which a fire is made; the floor of a fireplace; also, a corresponding part of a stove.
- furnace (part of speech: noun)
- "An Orkney Maid", Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr.
- "Roughing it in the Bush", Susanna Moodie.
- "Careers of Danger and Daring", Cleveland Moffett.