Definition of allay:
- Alleviation; abatement; check.
- To alleviate; to abate; to mitigate; as, to allay the severity of affliction or the bitterness of adversity.
- To diminish in strength; to abate; to subside.
- To make quiet or put at rest; to pacify or appease; to quell; to calm; as, to allay popular excitement; to allay the tumult of the passions.
- To mix ( metals); to mix with a baser metal; to alloy; to deteriorate.
lenify, salve, remedy, slack, gruntle, exempt, shut up, facilitate, extinguish, decrease, let off, hush up, comfort, snuff out, study at, increase, lighten, silence, abate, quieten, blow out, take over, squelch, tranquillise, tranquillize, salvage, unbosom, free, becalm, balm, excuse, gentle, save, settle, calm down.
- alleviate (part of speech: verb)
- pacify (part of speech: verb)
- satisfy (part of speech: verb)
- calm (part of speech: verb)
- "Lucretia, Complete", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
- "The Memoirs of Cardinal de Retz, Complete", Jean Francois Paul de Gondi, Cardinal de Retz.
- "When Valmond Came to Pontiac, Complete", Gilbert Parker Last Updated: March 15, 2009.