Definition of abatement:
- A mark of dishonor on an escutcheon.
- The act of abating, or the state of being abated; a lessening, diminution, or reduction; removal or putting an end to; as, the abatement of a nuisance is the suppression thereof.
- The amount abated; that which is taken away by way of reduction; deduction; decrease; a rebate or discount allowed.
- The entry of a stranger, without right, into a freehold after the death of the last possessor, before the heir or devisee.
temporary removal, foramen, rest, time out, rest period, letup, slowdown, dangling, subsidence, ebb, suspension system, wane, remission, reduction, curtailment, hanging, diminishment, slackening, rebate, abeyance, interruption, cut, hiatus, increase, diminution, reprieve, suspension, intermission, decrease, recess, pause, cutback, taper, slash, decrement, break, respite, drain, relief.
- "A Book of Myths", Jean Lang.
- "Stranded in Arcady", Francis Lynde.
- "The Emigrant Trail", Geraldine Bonner.