Definition of beetle:
- A heavy mallet, used to drive wedges, beat pavements, etc.
- A machine in which fabrics are subjected to a hammering process while passing over rollers, as in cotton mills; - called also beetling machine.
- Any insect of the order Coleoptera, having four wings, the outer pair being stiff cases for covering the others when they are folded up. See Coleoptera.
- To beat with a heavy mallet.
- To extend over and beyond the base or support; to overhang; to jut.
- To finish by subjecting to a hammering process in a beetle or beetling machine; as, to beetle cotton goods.
- "Rollo's Experiments", Jacob Abbott.
- "Among the Meadow People", Clara Dillingham Pierson.
- "The Counterpane Fairy", Katharine Pyle.