Definition of retrograde:
- Apparently moving backward, and contrary to the succession of the signs, that is, from east to west, as a planet.
- Declining from a better to a worse state; as, a retrograde people; retrograde ideas, morals, etc.
- Hence, to decline from a better to a worse condition, as in morals or intelligence.
- Tending or moving backward; having a backward course; contrary; as, a retrograde motion; - opposed to progressive.
- To go in a retrograde direction; to move, or appear to move, backward, as a planet.
retrovert, decrepit, pull back, crawfish out, retrogress, declining, retrocede, back, pull in one's horns, descend, regressing, old-timey, forward, retreat, decaying, retral, inferior, old-world, retract, precede, crawfish, withdraw, back away, ebb, pull away, impoverished, recidivate, turn back, vintage, approach, crumbling, recessive, deteriorating, fall back, reversed, draw back, for the worse, worsen, rearward, failing, worst, worst of all, sink, rehash, regress, extraordinary, relapse, degenerate, retro, quaint, backward, move back, old-school, deteriorate, backtrack, recede, retrogressive, pale, back out, worse, decline, retire, rotting, antique, hash over, return, atrophy, better, revert, oldfangled, regressive, backpedal, lapse, old-time.
Steadily the forces work, sometimes seeming to accomplish nothing; sometimes even the motion appears retrograde; but in the long run the destined end is reached, and the course, whether of a planet or of men's thoughts about the universe, is permanently altered.- "Pioneers of Science", Oliver Lodge.
- "The Framework of Home Rule", Erskine Childers.
- "The Birth-Time of the World and Other Scientific Essays", J. (John) Joly.