Definition of believe :
1. To exercise belief in; to credit upon the authority or testimony of another; to be persuaded of the truth of, upon evidence furnished by reasons, arguments, and deductions of the mind, or by circumstances other than personal knowledge; to regard or accept as true; to place confidence in; to think; to consider; as, to believe a person, a statement, or a doctrine.
2. To have a firm persuasion, esp. of the truths of religion; to have a persuasion approaching to certainty; to exercise belief or faith.
3. To think; to suppose.
conceptualise, reckon, conceptualize, call back, retrieve, swear, bank, moot, guess, see, swallow, take, commit, mean, deliberate, deny, conceive, swear by, recall, figure, opinion, postulate, entrust, weigh, look at, turn over, consider, recollect, study, regard, gestate, cerebrate, deal, think, buy, repute, doubt, belief, confide, cogitate, debate, count, call up, sense, feel, remember, opine, imagine, intrust, view
believe (part of speech: verb)
hope (part of speech: verb)
- You cannot think- you cannot believe. - "The Master of the Ceremonies", George Manville Fenn.
- What shall we believe in, then? - "The George Sand-Gustave Flaubert Letters", George Sand, Gustave Flaubert Translated by A.L. McKensie.
- You see, my dears, it couldn't believe the raindrop." - "Furze the Cruel", John Trevena.