Definition of monopoly:
- Exclusive possession; as, a monopoly of land.
- The commodity or other material thing to which the monopoly relates; as, tobacco is a monopoly in France.
- The exclusive power, or privilege of selling a commodity; the exclusive power, right, or privilege of dealing in some article, or of trading in some market; sole command of the traffic in anything, however obtained; as, the proprietor of a patented article is given a monopoly of its sale for a limited time; chartered trading companies have sometimes had a monopoly of trade with remote regions; a combination of traders may get a monopoly of a particular product.
- "Null-ABC", Henry Beam Piper and John Joseph McGuire.
- "Primitive Love and Love-Stories", Henry Theophilus Finck.
- "The Economic Aspect of Geology", C. K. Leith.