Definition of cleavage:
- Division into laminae, like slate, with the lamination not necessarily parallel to the plane of deposition; - usually produced by pressure.
- The act of cleaving or splitting.
- The quality possessed by many crystallized substances of splitting readily in one or more definite directions, in which the cohesive attraction is a minimum, affording more or less smooth surfaces; the direction of the dividing plane; a fragment obtained by cleaving, as of a diamond. See Parting.
collision, hooters, breakup, bosom, breast, scission, knockers, bust, contrast, segmentation, fractionalization, open, variation, fracture, sectionalization, dissolution, difference, contradiction, a world of difference, disunion, boob, fractionation, partitioning, variety, chink, divergence, schism, cleft, sectionalisation, crack, falsies, hole, crevice, cup, splitting, sundering, distinction, curve, rift, diversity.
- bisection (part of speech: noun)
- disjunction (part of speech: noun)
- "The Wonder Island Boys: Exploring the Island", Roger Thompson Finlay.
- "The Student's Elements of Geology", Sir Charles Lyell.
In February the action of the hidden forces abated somewhat; but in March, at the full moon, the cone opened on the north- western side, the cleavage being marked out by a line of fumaroles, and a lava stream issued from the lowest part without any noise and with very little smoke, pouring down into the Atrio del Cavallo as far as the precipices of Monte Somma.- "Naples Past and Present", Arthur H. Norway.