Definition of split :
1. A small bottle ( containing about half a pint) of some drink; - so called as containing half the quantity of the customary smaller commercial size of bottle; also, a drink of half the usual quantity; a half glass.
2. Any of the air currents in a mine formed by dividing a larger current.
3. Any of the dents of a reed.
4. Any of the three or four strips into which osiers are commonly cleft for certain kinds of work; - usually in pl.
5. Designating ordinary stock that has been divided into preferred ordinary and deferred ordinary.
6. Divided so as to be done or executed part at one time or price and part at another time or price; - said of an order, sale, etc.
7. Of quotations, given in sixteenth, quotations in eighths being regular; as, 10 is a split quotation.
8. Short for shot or stroke.
9. The feat of going down to the floor so that the legs extend in a straight line, either with one on each side or with one in front and the other behind.
depart, secernate, fail, class, dissever, develop, let out, soften, blight, hole, contrast, fragmentize, breach, crock up, flare, acrobatic, interrupt, break apart, collapse, splinter, tide rip, discontinue, take off, expose, withdraw, approach, get off, go against, discriminate, move on, fragmentise, handstand, conk out, burn, pull, distinguish, draw out, strain, disclose, relegate, hitch, headstand, assemble, start out, bruise, transgress, give away, garbled, a war of words, distinction, bump, teardrop, differentiate, start, countercurrent, stop, severalise, come apart, abandon ship, let on, destroy, adjourn, wear, calve, scattered, go, disjointed, injure, abrupt, illogical, rake, decompose, cashier, ruin, break up, crash, misunderstanding, profligate, gymnastics, roue, snap off, rakehell, fracture, unwrap, set out, cave in, abandon, quit, classify, recrudesce, shiver, disable, wound, break dance, fall in, quarrel, cohere, economic rent, controversy, demolish, breakage, discover, check, difference, chakra, screen off, explode, break down, dispel, reveal, rationing, cartwheel, acrobatics, ramify, injured, binge, break out, collision, give way, participate, founder, burst, cling, gymnast, scatter, crosscurrent, burst out, crack up, give out, break open, bout, irrupt, wear out, kick downstairs, carve, better, harm, divergence, set forth, violate, disordered, dampen, demote, pause, flare up, gymnastic, diffusion, dispute, variety, stock split, blemish, desert, get out, slim down, push off, exit, snag, break in, bust, leave, adhere, intermit, politics, blood, come away, shatter, run, go bad, single out, split up, set off, bankrupt, cut out, confused, argument, burnout, fall apart, pull out, rive, staccato, contradiction, furcate, recess, divulge, retire, erupt, unconnected, abound, pick, bristle, disagreement, variation, like rats deserting a sinking ship, rub, crumble, break away, segmentation, horse, smash, go away, confrontation, take apart, get around, blow, crush, bring out, tell, offend, dissolve, secern, die, cut off, hang-up, get away, disrupt, damp, blister, sort out, sort, stick, secede, take down, continue, resolve, schism, riptide, carve up, dissipate, weaken, infract, fight, a world of difference, assort, help, diversity, break off, tell apart, shove off, severalize, chip, conflict
diverge (part of speech: verb)
separation (part of speech: noun)
notch (part of speech: verb)
divergent (part of speech: adjective)
portioned (part of speech: verb)
disjoint (part of speech: adjective)
disjoint, disarticulated, scissored
halve (part of speech: verb)
disjunction (part of speech: noun)
disassembly, disintegration, amputation, division, fissure, dissection, disarticulation, disengagement, segregation, bisection, disassociation, dissociation, incision, detachment, disunity, separation, cleavage, alienation, disconnection
allot (part of speech: verb)
halved (part of speech: verb)
allotted (part of speech: verb)
dissociate (part of speech: verb)
disconnect, uncouple, alienate, detach, separate, divide, fragment, disjoin, rend, dissociate, rupture, disassociate, divorce, disengage, break, halve, excise, part, partition, segregate, insulate, dismantle, sever, cleave, disunite, sunder
allotment (part of speech: noun)
portion (part of speech: verb)
separate (part of speech: verb)
separated (part of speech: verb)
bisection (part of speech: noun)
notched (part of speech: adjective)
diverged (part of speech: verb)
dissociated (part of speech: verb)
disjoined, parted, divorced, alienated, disconnected, fragmented, cleft, disunited, disengaged, excised, rent, dissociated, segregated, partitioned, broken, halved, dismantled, insulated, broke, sundered, severed, ruptured, uncoupled, divided, detached, cleaved, disassociated, separated
- It was distant, but it split up the silence with a meaning that could not be denied. - "The Heart of Unaga", Ridgwell Cullum.
- This finally split the party much as it split our Labour Party. - "The New Germany", George Young.
- And when the monk fell on the ground to show the attitude of reverence, the king cut off his head with a sword, and cut out his heart and split it open. - "Twenty-two Goblins", Unknown.