Definition of transmutation :
1. The act of transmuting, or the state of being transmuted; as, the transmutation of metals.
2. The change of one species into another, which is assumed to take place in any development theory of life; transformism.
3. The change or reduction of one figure or body into another of the same area or solidity, but of a different form, as of a triangle into a square.
renewing, translation, metamorphosis, switching, chemise, changeover, switch, faulting, break, geological fault, variation, transmogrification, transubstantiation, displacement, shifting, catalysis, mutation, novelty, vicissitude, innovation, variety, fracture, sack, shimmy, metathesis, renewal, slip, regeneration, duty period, change, transformation, work shift, shift, revolution, alteration, conversion, transition, diversity, fault, shift key, transfiguration, teddy
- What a combination and transmutation of those forceful powers that originate in the Unnamable! - "Flamsted quarries", Mary E. Waller.
- The theory rests on two very precarious foundations: the assumption of spontaneous generation, on the one hand, and the assumption of a transmutation of species on the other. - "Modern Atheism under its forms of Pantheism, Materialism, Secularism, Development, and Natural Laws", James Buchanan.
- In its minute compass the transmutation of the inorganic into the organic, which constitutes what Tyndall called " the miracle and the mystery of vitality," is perpetually enacted. - "The Breath of Life", John Burroughs.