Definition of vampire:
- Any one of several species of harmless tropical American bats of the genus Vampyrus, especially V. spectrum. These bats feed upon insects and fruit, but were formerly erroneously supposed to suck the blood of man and animals. Called also false vampire.
- Either one of two or more species of South American blood- sucking bats belonging to the genera Desmodus and Diphylla. These bats are destitute of molar teeth, but have strong, sharp cutting incisors with which they make punctured wounds from which they suck the blood of horses, cattle, and other animals, as well as man, chiefly during sleep. They have a caecal appendage to the stomach, in which the blood with which they gorge themselves is stored.
- Fig.: One who lives by preying on others; an extortioner; a bloodsucker.
- evildoer (part of speech: noun)
- evil spirit (part of speech: noun)
- ghost (part of speech: noun)
Lorenzo Marques, in itself, was valueless to the Boers, for it had always been nothing more than a vampire feeding upon the Transvaal, but as an outlet to the sea and as a haven for foreign ships bearing men, arms, and encouragement it was invaluable.- "With the Boer Forces", Howard C. Hillegas.
- "The Gay Cockade", Temple Bailey.
- "The Morals of Marcus Ordeyne", William J. Locke.