Definition of finance :
1. The income of a ruler or of a state; revennue; public money; sometimes, the income of an individual; often used in the plural for funds; available money; resources.
2. The science of raising and expending the public revenue.
3. To conduct the finances of; to provide for, and manage, the capital for; to financier.
- The Minister of Finance has spent in a month twenty- six millions for the war expenses alone. - "In the Courts of Memory 1858-1875.", L. de Hegermann-Lindencrone.
- He founded a supreme court independent of popular agitation, a finance system independent of the grants of a popular assembly. - "A History of England Principally in the Seventeenth Century, Volume I (of 6)", Leopold von Ranke.
- Fortunately for the stability of our system of currency and of finance, the precious metals, through the small ratio which their current production bears to the world's stock, and the fact that this stock is scattered among an enormous number of holders, are safe from any attempts to establish a monopoly to control their price through the control of their production. - "Monopolies and the People", Charles Whiting Baker.