Definition of charter:
- A special privilege, immunity, or exemption.
- A written evidence in due form of things done or granted, contracts made, etc., between man and man; a deed, or conveyance.
- An act of a legislative body creating a municipal or other corporation and defining its powers and privileges. Also, an instrument in writing from the constituted authorities of an order or society ( as the Freemasons), creating a lodge and defining its powers.
- An instrument in writing, from the sovereign power of a state or country, executed in due form, bestowing rights, franchises, or privileges.
- The letting or hiring a vessel by special contract, or the contract or instrument whereby a vessel is hired or let; as, a ship is offered for sale or charter. See party, below.
- To establish by charter.
- To hire or let by charter, as a ship. See party, under Charter, n.
get, guide, take aim, law, enlist, have, betroth, contain, license, plight, deal, choose, let, select, code, engross, grant, drive, shoot, call for, take up, subscribe, prosecute, make, study, require, agreement, exact, contract, take on, demand, use up, necessitate, take in, absorb, get hold of, convey, learn, mesh, rent, wage, look at, permit, authorization, conduct, admit, direct, covenant, withdraw, assume, transactions, treaty, claim, employ, train, adopt, strike, franchise, consume, pursue, take, involve, read, ask, acquire, ingest, compact, submit, postulate, affiance, occupy, lock, film, accept, subscribe to, fill, bring, hire, pick out, permission, engage, consider, lease, pack, take away, carry, hold, need, remove, lead, aim, operate.
- "Sketches of Reforms and Reformers, of Great Britain and Ireland", Henry B. Stanton.
- "The Napoleon of Notting Hill", Gilbert K. Chesterton.
- "The Story of Magellan and The Discovery of the Philippines", Hezekiah Butterworth.