Definition of reign:
- Hence, to be predominant; to prevail.
- Royal authority; supreme power; sovereignty; rule; dominion.
- That which is prescribed or laid down as a guide for conduct or action; a governing direction for a specific purpose; an authoritative enactment; a regulation; a prescription; a precept; as, the rules of various societies; the rules governing a school; a rule of etiquette or propriety; the rules of cricket.
- The territory or sphere which is reigned over; kingdom; empire; realm; dominion.
- The time during which a king, queen, or emperor possesses the supreme authority; as, it happened in the reign of Elizabeth.
- To have superior or uncontrolled dominion; to rule.
- To possess or exercise sovereign power or authority; to exercise government, as a king or emperor;; to hold supreme power; to rule.
overshadow, eclipse, mold, overtop, obtain, wear the crown, hold sovereignty, die hard, preponderate, occupy the throne, overlook, dominance, wield the scepter, be supreme, run, endure, prevail, over, dominion, curb, harness, tower, persist, administer, rule, reign over, restrain, find, dominate, influence, hulk, triumph, hold sway over, hold power, predominate, decree, rein, sovereignty, loom.
command (part of speech: verb)
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.
- "Leo XIII., the Great Leader", Rev. A. P. Doyle.
- "The Birthright", Joseph Hocking.