Definition of tangent:
- A tangent line curve, or surface; specifically, that portion of the straight line tangent to a curve that is between the point of tangency and a given line, the given line being, for example, the axis of abscissas, or a radius of a circle produced. See Trigonometrical function, under Function.
- meeting a curve or surface at a point and having at that point the same direction as the curve or surface; - said of a straight line, curve, or surface; as, a line tangent to a curve; a curve tangent to a surface; tangent surfaces.
- Touching; touching at a single point
aside, sunburn, cotangent, diameter, horizontal, obtuse, excursus, divergence, orthogonal, burn, tan, topaz, diagonal, oblique, axis, parenthesis, chord, degree, median, suntan, deviation, arc, excursion, inclined plane, perpendicular, approach, cos, line, minute, outline, divergency, curvature, digression, irrelevancy, divagation, cosine.
- "Leaves from a Field Note-Book", J. H. Morgan.
- "Letters of a Radio-Engineer to His Son", John Mills.
- "The Birth-Time of the World and Other Scientific Essays", J. (John) Joly.