Definition of nut :
1. A perforated block ( usually a small piece of metal), provided with an internal or female screw thread, used on a bolt, or screw, for tightening or holding something, or for transmitting motion. See Illust. of lst Bolt.
2. A projection on each side of the shank of an anchor, to secure the stock in place.
3. The fruit of certain trees and shrubs ( as of the almond, walnut, hickory, beech, filbert, etc.), consisting of a hard and indehiscent shell inclosing a kernel.
4. The tumbler of a gunlock.
5. To gather nuts.
crown, bug, weirdo, crosspatch, wise, burden, bur, chicken feed, lusus naturae, globe, bollock, testicle, fanatic, methamphetamine, churl, monstrosity, screwball, junkie, loony, fruit, methamphetamine hydrochloride, junky, nutcase, lump, bolt, cap, block, stone, cranium, skull, noddle, head, clump, conk, drug addict, noggin, en, chalk, pate, fruitcake, formal, difficulty, egg, loon, dingbat, dome, shabu, bean, grouch, deoxyephedrine, eggs, concern, ballock, grump, ball, kernel, nut case, body, musket ball, chunk, ice, glass, noodle, trash, weirdie, starter, poll, meth, seed, orchis, monster, glob, brain, eccentric, orb, bullock block, cuckoo, testis, clod, responsibility, ding-a-ling
enthusiast (part of speech: noun)
nut (part of speech: noun)
lunatic (part of speech: noun)
- You did not send the prepared betel- nut covered with gold to summon him. - "Traditions of the Tinguian: A Study in Philippine Folk-Lore", Fay-Cooper Cole.
- And the next evening when she had washed up, she opened the second nut, and a far more beautiful dress was within it, and when the bride beheld it, she wished to buy that also. - "Household Tales by Brothers Grimm", Grimm Brothers.
- His article is as sound as a nut. - "Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete The Personal And Literary Life Of Samuel Langhorne Clemens", Albert Bigelow Paine Last Updated: February 20, 2009.