Definition of relapse:
- A sliding or falling back, especially into a former bad state, either of body or morals; backsliding; the state of having fallen back.
- One who has relapsed, or fallen back, into error; a backslider; specifically, one who, after recanting error, returns to it again.
- To fall from Christian faith into paganism, heresy, or unbelief; to backslide.
- To slide or turn back into a former state or practice; to fall back from some condition attained; -- generally in a bad sense, as from a state of convalescence or amended condition; as, to relapse into a stupor, into vice, or into barbarism; -- sometimes in a good sense; as, to relapse into slumber after being disturbed.
- To slip or slide back, in a literal sense; to turn back.
retrograde, reverting, atavism, get worse, lapse, go by, deterioration, lapsing, retrovert, pass, elapse, repetition, turnaround, turn back, lose, dawdle, reversal, retroversion, resort, drop off, fall back, fall behind, glide by, backsliding, recidivism, slip away, go along, recidivate, lag, setback, retrogress, reversion, better, regress, turnabout, oversight, slide by, relapsing, loss, slip by.
- regress (part of speech: verb)
- deteriorate (part of speech: verb)
- regression (part of speech: noun)
- relapse (part of speech: verb)
- revert (part of speech: verb)
I was disappointed and forced to stay in Wimpole Street after all; but the winter being so mild, so miraculously mild for England you may remember, I was spared my winter relapse and left liberty for new plans such as I never used to think were in my destiny!- "The Letters of Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1 of 2)", Frederic G. Kenyon.
- "Pygmalion", George Bernard Shaw.
But about the time the second calamity approaches, when Najma begins to decline and waste away from grief, when the relapse sets in and carries her in a fortnight downward to the grave of her child, Khalid's eyes are as two pieces of flint stone on a sheet of glass.- "The Book of Khalid", Ameen Rihani.