Definition of glide:
- A transitional sound in speech which is produced by the changing of the mouth organs from one definite position to another, and with gradual change in the most frequent cases; as in passing from the begining to the end of a regular diphthong, or from vowel to consonant or consonant to vowel in a syllable, or from one component to the other of a double or diphthongal consonant ( see Guide to Pronunciation, // 19, 161, 162). Also ( by Bell and others), the vanish ( or brief final element) or the brief initial element, in a class of diphthongal vowels, or the brief final or initial part of some consonants ( see Guide to Pronunciation, // 18, 97, 191).
- Movement of a glider, aeroplane, etc., through the air under gravity or its own movement.
- The act or manner of moving smoothly, swiftly, and without labor or obstruction.
- The glede or kite.
- To move gently and smoothly; to pass along without noise, violence, or apparent effort; to pass rapidly and easily, or with a smooth, silent motion, as a river in its channel, a bird in the air, a skater over ice.
- To move through the air by virtue of gravity or momentum; to volplane.
- To pass with a glide, as the voice.
slide, lantern slide, steal, sea-coast, sailing, sloping trough, descent, sail, chute, careful, soaring, skulk, roll, slither, semivowel, flowing, debacle, jerk, swoop, flow, trot, gliding, sliding board, sinking, floating, sneak, slideway, pussyfoot, creep, snake, navigation, glissade, plunge, lurk, mouse, lapse, slink, playground slide, shuffle, coast, slip, microscope slide, seashore, easy, gumshoe, drift, seafaring, move, sailplaning, prowl, flight, seacoast, ease.
- "I Married a Ranger", Dama Margaret Smith.
- "The Boy Volunteers with the French Airmen", Kenneth Ward.
The little garden is basking in the sunshine; the heavens are cloudless; the lagoon looks as if it were sprinkled with diamonds, as the black gondolas glide past, the sinewy brown throats of the gondoliers shining like bronze.- "Countess Erika's Apprenticeship", Ossip Schubin.