Definition of facing:
- A covering in front, for ornament or other purpose; an exterior covering or sheathing; as, the facing of an earthen slope, sea wall, etc. , to strengthen it or to protect or adorn the exposed surface.
- A lining placed near the edge of a garment for ornament or protection.
- A powdered substance, as charcoal, bituminous coal, ect., applied to the face of a mold, or mixed with the sand that forms it, to give a fine smooth surface to the casting.
- The collar and cuffs of a military coat; - commonly of a color different from that of the coat.
- The finishing of any face of a wall with material different from that of which it is chiefly composed, or the coating or material so used.
- The movement of soldiers by turning on their heels to the right, left, or about; - chiefly in the pl.
collar, veneering, surface, bodice, breast, gable, dado, braid, hem, liner, trim, face, bib, frieze, veneer, overlay, arm, backing, embroidery, cladding, baseboard, lining, corner, breast pocket, piping, coattails, covering, buttonhole, firewall, care label, clerestory, armhole, bias, damp, binding, front.
- confronting (part of speech: verb)
- defying (part of speech: verb)
- lining (part of speech: verb)
- contending (part of speech: verb)