Definition of demand :
1. A diligent seeking or search; manifested want; desire to possess; request; as, a demand for certain goods; a person's company is in great demand.
2. A thing or amount claimed to be due.
3. Earnest inquiry; question; query.
4. That which one demands or has a right to demand; thing claimed as due; claim; as, demands on an estate.
5. The act of demanding; an asking with authority; a peremptory urging of a claim; a claiming or challenging as due; requisition; as, the demand of a creditor; a note payable on demand.
6. The asking or seeking for what is due or claimed as due.
7. The right or title in virtue of which anything may be claimed; as, to hold a demand against a person.
8. To ask or call for with authority; to claim or seek from, as by authority or right; to claim, as something due; to call for urgently or peremptorily; as, to demand a debt; to demand obedience.
9. To call into court; to summon.
10. To inquire authoritatively or earnestly; to ask, esp. in a peremptory manner; to question.
11. To make a demand; to inquire.
12. To require as necessary or useful; to be in urgent need of; hence, to call for; as, the case demands care.
dun, submit, pauperism, posit, bespeak, core, imply, market, enquire, take in, drive, adopt, contain, put someone on the spot, staple, beseech, exact, lease, owned, motivation, insist on something, prerequisite, involve, take away, entreat, hankering, sale, yearning, deal, assume, take up, regard, necessary, postulate, beg, over, claim, inclination, ask, conduct, application, element, make, requested, pray, admit, quest, ingest, look at, command, accept, lead, pack, contract, sine qua non, indifference, take on, rush, burning issue/question, strike, study, remove, expect, ask for, contend, acquire, pick up, condition, importunity, wanted, shoot, convey, guide, insist on, feature, bring, hire, entail, film, essence, must-have, indigence, gather up, craving, withdraw, requisite, could do with something, search, consider, popular, order, ultimatum, charge, interrogate, needful, aim, affect, motive, pauperization, collect, key, pursuit, interview, call for, depend on, pick out, learn, take aim, have, charter, carry, call, cry out for, take, penury, hold, concern, get, thirst, engage, rent, give, trade, select, occupy, rely on, basis, read, use up, direct, supplicate, get hold of, priority, implore, subscribe to, consume, fill, pick someone's brains, crave, interest, choose, subscribe, longing, vogue, desired, put to, ache, essential, train
obligation (part of speech: noun)
request (part of speech: verb)
probe, wish, summons, question, appeal, urge, requisition, query, invitation, inquiry, seek, invite, want, summon, desire, petition, request, plea, inquire, solicit, plead, entreaty, bid, solicitation
oblige (part of speech: verb)
- Katherine at once determined to see Blake, and demand to know where Doctor Sherman was; and after the nurse arrived on an afternoon train, she set out for Blake's office. - "Counsel for the Defense", Leroy Scott.
- Children demand it- must have it.... - "The Firing Line", Robert W. Chambers.
- I demand to be taken before M. de Belin! - "Helmet of Navarre", Bertha Runkle.