Definition of sit :
1. obs. 3d pers. sing. pres. of Sit, for sitteth.
2. To be adjusted; to fit; as, a coat sts well or ill.
3. To cause to be seated or in a sitting posture; to furnish a seat to; - used reflexively.
4. To cover and warm eggs for hatching, as a fowl; to brood; to incubate.
5. To have position, as at the point blown from; to hold a relative position; to have direction.
6. To hold a session; to be in session for official business; - said of legislative assemblies, courts, etc.; as, the court sits in January; the aldermen sit to- night.
7. To lie, rest, or bear; to press or weigh; - with on; as, a weight or burden sits lightly upon him.
8. To occupy a place or seat as a member of an official body; as, to sit in Congress.
9. To perch; to rest with the feet drawn up, as birds do on a branch, pole, etc.
10. To remain in a state of repose; to rest; to abide; to rest in any position or condition.
11. To rest upon the haunches, or the lower extremity of the trunk of the body; - said of human beings, and sometimes of other animals; as, to sit on a sofa, on a chair, or on the ground.
12. To sit upon; to keep one's seat upon; as, he sits a horse well.
13. To suit ( well ill); to become.
14. To suit one well or ill, as an act; to become; to befit; - used impersonally.
15. To take a position for the purpose of having some artistic representation of one's self made, as a picture or a bust; as, to sit to a painter.
place, stupefy, get, stand up, set, muffle, stick, lay, present, model, bear on, suppress, puzzle, mystify, position, perplex, dumbfound, simulate, twit, perch, personate, occupy, squelch, razz, assemble, strangle, stand, mould, pattern, restraint, tease, depend upon, beat, cod, ride, gravel, nonplus, mock up, baby-sit, turn on, stifle, hunker, hinge on, convene, sit around, tantalise, vex, bewilder, throttle, mount, squat, bait, induct, relax, hold back, hold down, meet, sit down, amaze, burke, repress, put, posture, smother, rag, quench, flummox, sit in, remain, rise, tantalize, gag, devolve on, pose, rest, lie, mold, impersonate, baffle, depend on, drive, taunt, rally, hinge upon, seat, invest