Definition of hawk :
1. A small board, with a handle on the under side, to hold mortar.
2. An effort to force up phlegm from the throat, accompanied with noise.
3. One of numerous species and genera of rapacious birds of the family Falconidae. They differ from the true falcons in lacking the prominent tooth and notch of the bill, and in having shorter and less pointed wings. Many are of large size and grade into the eagles. Some, as the goshawk, were formerly trained like falcons. In a more general sense the word is not infrequently applied, also, to true falcons, as the sparrow hawk, pigeon hawk, duck hawk, and prairie hawk.
4. To catch, or attempt to catch, birds by means of hawks trained for the purpose, and let loose on the prey; to practice falconry.
5. To clear the throat with an audible sound by forcing an expiratory current of air through the narrow passage between the depressed soft palate and the root of the tongue, thus aiding in the removal of foreign substances.
6. To make an attack while on the wing; to soar and strike like a hawk; - generally with at; as, to hawk at flies.
7. To offer for sale by outcry in the street; to carry ( merchandise) about from place to place for sale; to peddle; as, to hawk goods or pamphlets.
8. To raise by hawking, as phlegm.
deliver, lurch, incline, toss, flip, cant over, sky, transactions, clear the throat, slope, huckster, militarist, higgle, slant, gear, mortarboard, war hawk, tilt, vend, haggle, peddle, cant, hawk and spit, pitch, chauvinist, radical, conservative, chaffer, monger, belligerent, set up, shift
bird (part of speech: noun)
goose, road runner, snipe, crested jay, stork, peregrine, yellowbird, penguin, bluebill, crane, barn owl, condor, turkey, loon, sandpiper, blackbird, peacock, egret, swallow, crow, jackdaw, duck, bird, mockingbird, horned owl, oriole, tern, parrot, grouse, swift, robin, parakeet, vulture, lovebird, ibis, partridge, wren, thrush, bittern, pheasant, myna, harrier, dove, hummingbird, lark, canary, sea gull, woodpecker, gull, pelican, mourning dove, ostrich, tit, cormorant, eagle, cuckoo, weaver, owl, grosbeak, cockatoo, jay, cardinal, dodo, chickadee, goldfinch, sheldrake, osprey, plover, coot, teal, raven, falcon, heron, grackle, nuthatch, redwing, booby, waxwing, squab, rook, Canada goose, blue jay, nightingale, starling, bluebird, ringtail, macaw, swan, puffin, curlew, bald eagle, magpie, emu, cassowary, quetzal, turtledove, flamingo, mallard, pigeon, sparrow, finch, kingfisher, buzzard, bullfinch, spoonbill, songbird, albatross, redbird