Definition of fat:
- A large tub, cistern, or vessel; a vat.
- A measure of quantity, differing for different commodities.
- Abounding in riches; affluent; fortunate.
- Abounding with fat
- An oily liquid or greasy substance making up the main bulk of the adipose tissue of animals, and widely distributed in the seeds of plants. See Adipose tissue, under Adipose.
- Exhibiting the qualities of a fat animal; coarse; heavy; gross; dull; stupid.
- Fertile; productive; as, a fat soil; a fat pasture.
- Fleshy; characterized by fatness; plump; corpulent; not lean; as, a fat man; a fat ox.
- Of a character which enables the compositor to make large wages; - said of matter containing blank, cuts, or many leads, etc.; as, a fat take; a fat page.
- Oily; greasy; unctuous; rich; - said of food.
- Rich; producing a large income; desirable; as, a fat benefice; a fat office; a fat job.
- The best or richest productions; the best part; as, to live on the fat of the land.
- To grow fat, plump, and fleshy.
- To make fat; to fatten; to make plump and fleshy with abundant food; as, to fat fowls or sheep.
- Work. containing much blank, or its equivalent, and, therefore, profitable to the compositor.
chubby, ample, plenteous, enlarge, glut, plop, suety, swollen, buxom, flump, lucubrate, fill out, robust, plumpish, compact, big, go, heavyset, double-chinned, fatty tissue, round, red-hot, fill in, risque, generative, plump, pudgy, make out, avoirdupois, porcine, lean, puffy, plonk, weighty, abdominous, deep, endomorphic, avoirdupois weight, pyknic, elaborate, corpulent, plunk, jowly, overstock, oversupply, fecund, confer, adipose tissue, overage, fatness, overflow, flesh out, obese, dumpy, fleshy, superfatted, excess, rich, talk, plummet, fertile, suet, zoftig, productive, luscious, thin, thick, stout, fatten out, adipose, roly-poly, rounded, expand, fattish, large, fatten up, loose-jowled, portly, overrun, prolific, podgy, heavy, massive, broad, solid, ponderous, voluptuous, husky, plank, zaftig, embonpoint, plump out, plunk down, exposit, sebaceous, tubby, fatten, bulky, complete, chunky, paunchy, racy, dilate, profitable, expatiate, brawny, surplusage, burly, overmuch, naughty, round out, oleaginous, fatty, full-bodied, fruitful, oily, overweight, superfluity, stocky, rotund, surplus, greasy, pad, gross, thickset, toothsome, gamy, juicy, plump down, gamey, copious, blubbery, spicy, expound, lumpish, eke out, blue, buttery, hefty, potbellied, flabby, meaty, blubber, gossip, plentiful.
- "Peter A Novel of Which He is Not the Hero", F. Hopkinson Smith.
- "Philo Gubb Correspondence-School Detective", Ellis Parker Butler.
- "Rung Ho!", Talbot Mundy.